Wednesday, May 8, 2019

May 8, 1919 - George Writes Poem for Those Left Behind


 
 

Dear Ones at Home: 
            Just now I opened a little Y.M.C.A book of A.E.F songs and it came over me how much they show of the spirit, the soul, the varying moods of the “boys” – as “boys” – over here.  So I think for a change I will make that the theme of my letter to begin with anyway.  I may not make much headway or it may prove uninteresting but here goes.  This little verse first caught my eye, “It’s the songs we sing and the smiles we wear that make the sunshine everywhere.”  Then I made over a well-known song called “I’m gonna pin my medal on the girl I left behind” to fit my thots and memories.

 “The praise they give me belongs to those I left behind.
They deserve it more than I
For the way they said goodbye
I saw you try to keep away the tears that blind
For brave heros
Would be hard to find. 
You’ve put a smile in every letter that you sign
But I’ve read what’s in your hearts between each line
So when I get back home again
I hope you’ll bear in mind
That the praises people give me, belong to those I left behind.” 

I will try to bring one of the little books back with me.  I was just out and saw the old cigar shaped motor driven observation balloon which we saw a year ago here.  It brot back that time very plainly, for it was one of the first sights of Brest to impress e as it sailed out to meet us and guard our way up the harbor.  I suppose I should say they as of course there are several.  We may sail the early part of next week.  Didn’t expect to be here as long as this even.

            I hope a picture I snapped this A.M. turns out well. A rather cute little French girl of perhaps fifteen or sixteen was at the gate selling papers. I stepped around back to the sun and commenced to open my Kodak.  But she said “no” and ducked away.  Finally she threw down the papers, but refused to be taken with them.  So I snapped her then hung around.  Pretty soon a soldier stopped to buy a paper and dropped his change. They both stooped to recover it and I hastily got “set.”  Then I said “Victoria” sharply as that is what she called erself and she looked up and around. Quick as a flash she “compree’d” and threw up her arm, but I think I got her before she hid her face – papers and all.  Now I must close.                              Love to you all
                                                            Corp. Geo Sherwood 
                                                            108th U. S. Eng.  APO #750

PS- Flowers from a camp here in Brest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment