Saturday, May 11, 2019

May 11, 1919 -- George Celebrates Mother's Day

 



May 11, 1919
Brest, France

,,Mother O Mine,
            On this, one of the greatest days of any year, and greater still this year, I can send you no greater tribute than those contained in the little folder I enclose.  At first I had it in mind to mark the copy in those places which most appealed to me, but it is so full of my thots and the things I would say to you, I have given it up.  I can only reiterate that whatever of good I may bring to the world is due to Mother, Father, Sister and Brother.  And again I will to try to make my life more worthy of you all and the Love and Sacrifice by the Father and Brother of us All.  I have just heard a wonderful address to “A Mother” in the Y.M.C.A. auditorium here, yet especially in the last two years have I come to realize that no man can do that theme Justice. 
            And again it comes to me as the time draws near for us to return, that the hardest battles of the war were not fought in the trenches, but rather by those who loved us most, yet said, with a smile thru their tears, “God Bless you and Keep you in the Performance of your Duty.”  Then through all the self denials of war and in spite of the fear in their hearts, cheered us with frequent, sunny letters of the bright spots, with never a shade of sorrow or cloud.  Ah, but we fooled you.  While we dared not think of it or tell you, some of us (I think most of us) felt and read between the lines some of the battle, the fear, the heartache, the sacrifice you sought to hide.

            But soon we will be home again.
            The clouds will roll away.
            And with a better, useful life
            We’ll strive the debt to pay.
                                    From your Loving Son
                                                George

C. L. Thompson
Capt. 108th Engr
American   E. F.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment