Monday, May 20, 2019

May 20, 1919 -- George Sees Glorious Sunrise & Nears New York; Hears from His Friend L C Mohr

George begins letter 200 miles from New York and then they arrive --


May 21st

I have been wondering what I stayed up for all of last nite, and laid it to the heat and closeness of our quarters, but after the beautiful dawn I have just witnessed, I am prone to believe it was due to Providence, for it was wonderful.  All night I sat around the office chewing the “fat” with various sailors on none too strenuous duty, or who had furnished their trick and were resting and cleaning up.  But at dawn I went out on deck and found the sea more calm than I had ever see it out this far. Like a great grey green carpet it stretched away to the horizon, barely undulating to the impulses of the ground swell.  The air equally still and cool, except for a fresh breeze caused by the ships steady motion.  Then the east began to glow with an ever deepening flush of red, the fleecy clouds visible here and there were tinged with silver, then gold, as the sun crept up over the horizon behind their screening folds. And at last the sun itself over the banks of clouds like a great red ball shone out, making a golden path across the shining surface of the water to the ship itself.  I tried to get a picture of it but as I had no light screen expect a failing with result. 

May 22nd.
            About 200 miles out.  Will close this hastily and write from New York where we land tomorrow if all goes well.
                                                            Love to all
                                                                        George 

 





 *******************************************************

1919-0520  L.C. Mohr to George S. Sherwood
May 20 1919
Dear George: -
                        Mighty glad to hear from you and I know you are either on God’s Country to-night or else on the way.  I am watching the papers and if I can find out when the 108th will be in Chicago I’ll come over if possible to see the fellows.  I sure would like to see you all again.  Yes, indeed it is a great feeling to be back in avins again and I hope I can stay there for a while at least.  It does not seem that I have been in the U.S. three months already and that I have taught 9 weeks.
            I sure was sorry to learn of your accident.  It sure is tough to have gone through the war without a scratch and then have all those accidents befall you.  But such is life in the Army?  So Guilfoil is a Major now.  Do the fellows hate him as much as they used to?
            What do you intend doing?  Are you going back to college or are you going to work.  I suppose you will take a good vacation for a few days, weeks or months before you do anything at all.  Take a good one for you sure deserve it if anyone ever said.
            I was in Kalamazoo over the last weekend to the Normal teachment for High Schools and had a fine time.  It sure seems good to be back in civilization when you can see the things one likes, N’est pas?  I don’t know what I will do for next year.  I have the offer of a principalship at Mason and I also have a good offer here.  So I don’t know just what I will do.  I have almost decided to go to summer school this year either at the University of Chicago or Columbia.  Wish you could go along with me for I hate to go alone.  I had a nice letter from the Karns the other day and they speak often of you.  You sure made a hit with them George.  And here’s the joke.  The girl who was responsible for me meeting them wrote me just before I sailed for overseas that she did not care to hear from me anymore and I hear that she is engaged to a fellow at Hillsdale.  But we will have to give her credit for getting us acquainted with a real family in Houston N’est pas?  I would like to go down to Houston but I am afraid my pocket book would not stand the pressure.
            Well old Top, I hope you a feeling fine and I wish you all kinds of success in whatever you undertake.  Be sure to keep me posted  and if you get into Chicago anytime this spring, let me know and perhaps I can get over there.
                                                            Sincerely ,
                                                            L. C. Mohr
Enclose in the letter are several slips of papers with lots of names and addresses most likely people that the served with together

No comments:

Post a Comment