Wednesday, May 29, 2019

May 29, 1919 - George's Family Want to Keep Him All to Themselves


1919-0529 – Susan S Weber and Ella Jane S Sherwood to George S Sherwood
May 29th, 1919
And Susan and Mother sitting at Susan’s kitchen table writing for dear life to “the absent Boy” – guess I might put it – “to the coming Boy,” at least we hope he may be working this way or Looking this way.” And soon to be “arriving this way”.  Laddie! Laddie!  And when we think of you arriving we have a selfish thought that we wish you could phone us from Elroy and let us come for you there so we could have you all to our lonesome’s a day or two until you are rested up a bit.  It would be a joy to us just to have you here resting where we could tiptoe in and just look at you, but you must fix your homecoming to suit yourself.  After all only some of the boys have been too weary to enjoy having the friends gather around and ask numerous questions until they got somewhat rested.  Now I’ll leave space for Daddy.
                                                                        Lovingly, Mother. 

May 30th, 1919
            I’m most afraid Daddy won’t get time to write on this unless I leave it over to tomorrow.  I’ll see how much of a letter Sister has written.  Evening May 30th.  The letter went to you today without one word from Mother or Daddy but tomorrow’s letter shall not do that. 

May 31st, 1919 and in a chair by my side a little grandson is sleeping and his mother resting as quietly upstairs.  My how I wish you were here now. And sister is grieving that you cannot see a fat sister when you do come. 
            I promised you quite a letter today but circumstances seem determined to frustrate the plans I had for today all around.  Also, Dr. Hill’s.  He said we could not cajole him into being here at all, and when I coaxed him to come over just to see if she was going to be sick today, then he could go right back and send Dr. Waite if he wished.  He said, “Oh, I can do that.”  So when he came he thought he would wait an hour before he told us what he did think, then he decided to see her through and did so, but he is 68 years old and was about “all in” when he got through.
            Now I must write a line to Darris so a
                                                Loving, loving good night
                                                                        Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment