Saturday, May 11, 2019

May 10, 1919 -- Corporal Pay and No Work At All


APO Brest-France
May 10th, 1919

Dear Ones at Home:
            This letter has no special word to bring
Except the world old theme of Love and Spring.
But I thot I’d take the time to say hello
So it wouldn’t seem so long before we meet
For we’re getting out of here so very slow
Twill be in early June ere have that treat  
!?! -- !?!!??? XX - !??

             If the censor reads the above spasm I’ll be indefinitely detained for insanity or given a “cuckoo discharge.”  This is a beautiful sunshiny day.  It scarcely seems possible that a week ago we were suffering from cold and snow in our sidedoor Pullmans bound for Brest via “the longest way round.”
            I just had a bath “by the numbers.”  Explanations when I get home if you don’t “get it.”  I wonder how many phrases I’ve used in my letters have rather mystified you.  We sure will have to learn American when we get back, or teach you A. E. F. which really is expressive but probably will not improve the literary purity or beauty of the American language.  I used to call it English – but never again. Ahunderstand the bally Tommies about as well as Ich verstehen Deutsch or Compree French, don’t cher know.  Well I can’t complain right now.  Awhile back I said I drew the pay of a private and did the work of a corporal.  Now I draw the pay of and don’t do anything you might say.
            I haven’t take a trip down to the town of Brest yet.  Perhaps if there isn’t much to do tomorrow I may try for a pass, as I might get some interesting pictures. Now I’ll ring off and see what I can pick up about camp, sew on a few chevron’s buttons, etc. 
            Keep well and prepare to have a few good times in June -“This Means You” as  Uncle Sam’s enlisted posters used to say.
            Love to all.  Sent a letter to Aunt Nellie day before yesterday.  Goodbye and God keep us all still we meet again.
                                                            George

 

No comments:

Post a Comment