Thursday, May 30, 2019

May 30, 1919 -- Poem by George


1919-0530 – George Stevens Sherwood to Will & Ella Jane Sherwood & Family

 

Camp Mills, L. I., N.Y.
May  30, 1919
Dear Ones at Home:

Dedicated to my long suffering parents, relatives and all readers afflicted with its perusal. 

A hasty line again this time
A mixture of bum Prose and Rhyme
Back in the office I should be
Instead of writing poetry?
I’ve just dispatched by parcel post,
A souvenir I feared I’d lost
We failed to find the box ‘twas in
And so we believed it to have been
One of those busted in the hold
Or one that overboard had rolled
This knapsack you can surely see
Was made way back in Germany.
Went to war on a soldiers back
Carried his comfort kit and pack
Was left in his haste “Zurich zu gehen”
And after I on his bunk had lain
Was taken as part of my payment due
For adopting his numerous “livestock” too.
Anna Onymous 

            For fear some of you live thru the foregoing spasm, will just add a line of comfort? We are still here so we (I) can’t get home so very soon to afflict you at closer range.  But when I do get there – Oh you barrage!  So cheer up, hope for the best and expect the worst.  I tried to get Ed Schultz over the wire today but failed and can’t get another pass I’m afraid.   Guess you had better send me $20 by the bank draft to:
Corp. Sherwood
Hq. Co.  108th Eng. 33rd Div
Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill
and be sure to register letter.  I have less than a dollar left, but it is too late to send any here even by wire.  But I didn’t have much and had a good time anyway. Hope you folks are still O.K., and I’m sure you are or you would wire me.  Gee, it’s great to be back this side of the pond.
                                                Goodbye for now.

                                                            George 

P.S.  Have found Grace’s address.  Will drop her a line when we hit Chi[cago] if I get any time.
                                                                        G. S. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment