Saturday, October 21, 2017

October 21, 1917 - George Describes His Situation & 30,000 Troops at Camp Logan

October 21, Camp Logan, 1917
Dear Ones All:

            Two days gone again and no mail form home. Why?  I am looking my eyes out for the package due me.  I need the books so bad.

            Mohr and I went to Houston last P.M.  Bought some buttons for the collar to the blouse or coat to my uniform.  Also went to the Prince Theater. Got back a little after 12 o’clock.  It was dark and cold but I managed to make up my cot after a fashion and slept fine.  But as I had to get up at 4:00A.M. yesterday I am short on time for the last two nights so am sleepy now.

            Am still in the cook shack.  Hope I get relieved or transferred soon. I need that watch bad too.  Wanted to go to church today but K.P. kept me too busy so I had to be content with the very good discourse I just heard Chaplain Leut. Caward give here in the Y.M.C.A.

            Some of the fellows are getting their overcoats now, but guess I won’t get one till  I hit a permanent company, whatever that is.  I am commencing to doubt the existence of such an animal.  Had a bus ride out to one of the other divisions before we went to town so have a little more idea of the vast magnitude of a camp accommodating nearly 30,000.  Our division is camped in the corner next to town so I have seen but little of the rest of camp so far.

            Well good luck and good night.

                        George

No comments:

Post a Comment