Thursday, October 19, 2017

October 19, 1917 - Practicing Drafting Skills, Hoping to Find His Way




Now I am tired so will lay off for awhile and finish by scribbling.  I hate to trouble you folks all of the time but these things will help me in my practice work, if I can make good on the engineering work even in a small capacity.  Oh, how I hope I do for Capt. Laughlin is a prince of a man to work for, I believe, and is an experienced surveyor and engineer.  I hope the things I have already sent for will arrive soon --, tho have not heard definitely that you have sent them. If not please hurry as I must study.  Captain Laughlin’s last words this morning were “bone like h—l.”  I’m in the kitchen now, maybe for a week so I don’t have very much time to myself. 

            If I get in as rodman on the surveying gang, I will transfer out of Hdqts. Co again, and put in application with Capt. Laughlin for Co. C so have a little hope to end up there again, as I know them and Mohr is already in that Co.  Of course, it is just a chance if they have the room now as recruits are arriving all of the time  But I hope they do. However, send mail to Hdqt. Co as before until further orders as nothing is settled. 

            Now must close.  Don’t say much of this outside family, as I don’t want any false impressions running around.  Of course if I win the job it does not increase my pay but I feel it is to my advantage at this time.

                        Love to all,       George

No comments:

Post a Comment