Wednesday, October 4, 2017

October 4, 1917 George Arrives at Camp Logan, Houston TX

 
Camp Logan, Tex 10/4 – ‘17
Dear Home Folks,

            Here we are at last after a hard trip lasting form 9:45 A.M.  Yesterday to 4:00 P.M today.  We rode out from Houston on Motor trucks.  We are quartered in tents here.  Seven of the ten engineers in the bunch are in Company C.  I’m one of the seven.  We have been quartered separately in tents with the old hands. I don’t know how much initiation we’ll undergo but everyone seems very cordial so far.   I am writing this in the Y.M.C.A here, and as a speech is going on it is hard to keep my thot’s working on this epistle. 

            This is the poorest equipped .M. I’ve struck yet, but its lots better than none.

            We are better equipped for clothes than most of the men who are here ahead of us.  The rules are not so strict here as at Jefferson Barracks.

            Well, I guess we will be kept busy from what they say here. I don’t know whether I can find my way back to my tent or not, so I guess I’d better close and start back. 

            I mailed a letter on the way down here.  Did you get it.

            Write me at:      Company C
                                    108th U. S. Engineers
                                    Camp Logan
                                    Houston, TX 

                                                            With love to all

                                                                        George

                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment