Friday, April 27, 2018

April 27, 1918 -- George Travels the Lehigh Valley [Rail]Road


By H. P. Osborn - This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID pga.06015.This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required.  Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=60685507
2:30 P.M. E T Somewhere
In New York State
East of Buffalo on
Lehigh Valley Road
April 17 [27th],1918
2nd Sec 108th Troop Train

Dear Ones All:  Once more we are speeding, speeding, father and father away from home, but our mission keeps us from any serious attacks of homesickness.  But recollections keep returning as we pass through this finest farming and dairy section of New York State.  The hills, the plowed and harrowed fields, the orchards, the large comfortable farmhouses, the cattle grazing here and there and the prosperous looking barns and out buildings all remind one of “Home Sweet Home.”  Yet I would not be as happy there now, as I am here, for we are on our way we believe to do our part in service to Uncle Sam and the “World at Large.”  My only wish is that the day may be hastened when a troop train can bear us back content in the knowledge of a duty well and successfully performed.  We had a good view of Lake Erie this A.M. before we got to Buffalo.  There was lots of ice still floating in the lake, so it can’t be so very long since it broke up.  I think we are passing thru Ithaca now.  From the towns I have mentioned and the various postmarks you can probably very nearly map out our route.  Would like to be thru here in the fall and stop off awhile. You ought to see the orchards and vineyards we have passed today.  A beautiful little lake is in view from the car windows where I am sitting.  We are right on the edge of it now, and you can see the beautiful pebble bottom thru the clear water beautifully.  It is still sunny and warm today in distinct contrast to our last three days travel. This R.R. is without exception the best road I ever traveled.  Block signals every mile, crushed rock ballast with many sections where the edge of the ballast is lined up in a straight line, not a stone out of place, ties all tarred. 
            As usual forgot to number my cards and letters as I said I would so will never know whether you got them all or not.  Am calling this 2G but think there are two letters and 2 or 3 cards between this and 1 G. 
            Hope daddy is long since home all O.K, and that his trip did him as much good as it did me.
            Now I’ll bring this to a close with the usual Goodbye and God bless you all as I cannot tell now when I can write again. Or when I’ll hear from you.  I got the box of cookies and the wedding cake, also the fruit cake that followed it, but if you sent that box you spoke of last Sat or Mon it is hard telling who will get it or when. 
                                      Again Farewell till next time.  
                                                           Your Son & Brother
                                                                                  George
Love again and again to my dear ones and regards to everyone.  Get them to write me when I get “over there.”  Thanks for all the eats.  I acknowledged all but I thot maybe you missed letters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment