Wednesday, April 25, 2018

April 25, 1918 - Somewhere in Missouri

 
 Somewhere in Missouri
April 25 – 1918
Dear One’s All – Including both families & Aunt Nellie.
            From the heading on this you will see we are traveling right along for a troop train.  It is much colder today and has evidently been raining a couple of days and has not stopped yet. Fairchild is quite sick so the rest of us have vacated the drawing room to him and a hospital representative for the most part.  As the Major says we are sort of orphans just now. O’Mally slept in upper berth in Drawing Room last nite. M.E. Winslow and I in uppers in the Officers car.  As it is an up to date, 1st class Pullman, we had fine beds anyway.  Slept fine, but it was so hot when I turned in I only had sheet over me, so I woke up frozen in the middle of the night and pulled my two blankets over me.  Then I was fine.  Didn’t wake up when the bugle sounded reveille even.  At the burg where we just stopped some girls came all along the train and gave us magazines of all kinds.  I have a few extra privileges on this trip, one of which is permission to get off the train when we make stops of any length, so I got outside and got a “People’s” for Nov & a Popular for August.  Also gave one of the girls a card to mail to Vincent.  Find out if he gets it O.K. and give him my address. 
            We are still in Missouri I think.  Well, I feel fine and there isn’t much in the line of news to write so guess I will close this up for now and try and send it while we are stopped here.  Regards to everybody and love to all my home folks.

George Sherwood
Hdqtr. Company
108th Engineers

American Expeditionary Forces
c/o Postmaster New  York

No comments:

Post a Comment