Sunday, April 15, 2018

April 15, 1918 - Father and Son Reunion

Hotel Bender from Wikipedia.  By Acmegraph Co. - The University of Houston Digital Library: http://digital.lib.uh.edu, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18895351
 
Hotel Bender
Houston, Tex
April 15 –‘18
Dear Susan, Herman and Mother,
            Here we are again. It sure takes you folks to spring the surprises on a fellow.  Came up town last evening, staid till about 10 then went back to camp, got in just 10:30 (taps).  Went to bed and was just sleeping nicely when in comes cook Bill Kaufman with a telegram on a sheet of paper, saying that Dad was up at Hotel Bender.  Well, it was 11:00 PM then so I rolled over and got to sleep again after about half an hour. Got up at reveille this morning, beat it over to Major Roth’s right after roll call, explained matters a little, and he said he would see what he could do after mess. 
            So I got out the horses, cleaned them and the stalls, while mess progressed, and went back to see the Major. He gave me a few errands to do and told me to beat it for all day, so here I am. Got up here at 8:30 AM but Dad was out to breakfast, so I left a note and went out to have my shoes shined. When I returned the boss was waiting for me. I sure was glad to see him, tho there is nothing we can do about the check at present, as it has not showed up yet. It almost looks as tho that would always be an unexplained mystery.  Anyway, as long as we are still here, and I am able to get some time off, we should worry about that.  Not much!  I’m enjoying every minute, too bad we aren’t all together but guess we will have to save that pleasure till I return from “Over There” At least I hope soon to be “There.”  We went out to the turning basin this PM.  Had a dandy walk and talk. Lunch of
Dad
Veal with dressing
Mashed potatoes
Strawberry short cake
Coffee
 
Me
Chicken & poached egg
Mashed potato
S B shortcake
Supper (or dinner) consisted of Roast Beef, Peas, Mash potatoes, and SB Shortcake each.
Don’t that make your mouth water?  It ought to if it don’t. 
            Well, I never intended this check fracas to worry you folks as much as it seems it has, but even tho Dad can’t do any direct good in clearing up the matter, it is really worth a lot to me to see him. More in fact than I would have dreamed of had he not come.  And I think the trip will do him good too.  Was very sorry to hear of Grandma Atwater’s death, but it certainly was fine that Dora and Mother got up to see her when they did.
            Well, I’ll close now and let Dad write a line.  Love to you all.
                                                George

 Dear folks
            I sure am sorry I forgot to write last night but after I got a message off to George I seem to lost track that it was still my move and went to bed.  George seems to have covered all of the ground so forgive my delinquency.
                                                            Love to all
                                                            W. R. Sherwood
 

No comments:

Post a Comment