Friday, April 6, 2018

April 6, 1918 -- On-Going Saga of the Missing -- Forged? -- Check



 P.S. [at top of letter] Sent blanket and black case by parcel post today.
10:30 A.M.
Camp Logan, Texas
April 6, 1918
 Dear Ones All:
            This will have to be a hasty time to let you know I’m alive and kicking yet any way.  * 
8 P.M.  Was stopped there and since then have sent you a telegram which must be explained at once. At 5:30 tonite I was ordered to report to Lieut. Campbell at once, and on arriving at his tent I was asked if I remembered the check he had endorsed for me.  I was up in the air for a minute as the chaplain had endorsed a couple of my personal checks when I first came down.  Then I realized that Lieut. Campbell never had endorsed any so I said, “No, for how much was it and what about it.”  He said “$45.00 and they are on my neck for it.”  Then I realized at once that the registered letter had been stolen instead of lost, so we compared notes.  This is the result, The check bearing my name and Lieut. Campbell’s was cashed at a place (I don’t know which one) on the road opposite camp.  Of course it went thru usual channels to Kendall Bank, where it was refused as per my order & yours.  Now neither of us ever signed that check, but Lieut. Campbell wants to catch the man, so do I, therefore the telegram, and I hope to be in possession of the check by the time this reaches you. If the telegram fails to arrive, send check immediately on receipt of this for I’m very much worried.  We are keeping it quiet at this end if possible.  I have my suspicions but I don’t think they agree with the Lieut’s. and worst of all I hate anything of this kind as it may always stain an innocent man’s name.  But as I’m partly to blame for hushing it up some when the letter didn’t arrive, take the Liberty Bond of mine you have to cover it, as I’m determined you shall not stand the expense, but it seems we must have the check to do anything, and to get it you will have to pay the bank or honor it I suppose.  Anyway, if you don’t the Lieut., will have to pay it or prove it forged and it is a cinch I won’t let him stand it all as my name is evidently forged, too.  Please explain this at the bank as soon as you receive this so that they will remember all circumstances in case of further trouble.  In a way it seems to me it might be better to refuse payment, but time is precious, and it might get the Lieut. in trouble temporarily too so as he wants to have it this way and work from this end.  Do as I say if you have not already done so and the Liberty Bond will secure you in case we don’t get anything here.  Don’t worry but must close in haste and mail this. Please hurry.
                                                            Love to all ~~
                                                                        George


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment