Thursday, April 26, 2018

April 26, 1918 -- Somewhere in Ohio, After Indiana, Which was After St. Louis


Still Somewhere in Ohio
10 P.M. Fri. Apr 26 – 1918

Dear Mother, Father and the Webers,
            We are rolling along over the “Nickel Plate Line” towards Cleveland.  Expect we will pass thru there about midnight.  There is really little to write.  Stop at every few places, then usually in the yard.  Occasionally some of the citizens get wind of our approach and turn out to see and greet us, but not often.  Quite a number down to the train at St. Louis last nite.  We stayed over an hr. and I struck up a passing acquaintance with a girl who seemed quite nice. She had a brother in the 110th Engineers she said.  I have his name and hers, so if I ever see them I’ll try and look him up.  But there is so little we are allowed to tell of what we know even, that conversation on what interests us all is rather limited, same as writing.  We have passed thru some fine farming country today in Ind. & Ohio.  Barns and land remind me of home tho it is much smoother.  
            Well, it is nearly bed-time and the train rocks so I’m doubtful if you can read this.  So I’ll say goodbye for tonite.  My letters seem so newsless and flat to me, so must to you, but there is little that can be told.   
            So give regards to all the friends and write occasionally.  
            Good night with love,
                        George

 

No comments:

Post a Comment