Friday, April 5, 2019

April 5, 1919 -- George Writes of the Coming Great Welcoming & Receives Letter From Home


 
 APO # 750
Evacuation Hospt. #13, Warfeldenges, Lux.
April 5, 1919 

Dear Ones All:
            Have been up around in my bath robe since about  8 A.M. this morning so thot I’d try to concentrate enough to drop you a line as it is now nearly noon.  I am sitting at the desk and using the nurse’s ink and pen, as all of my equipment is back at Echternach.  I still have to write with arm motion entirely so it will be some job to read this, but guess Susan can make it out someway.  We are getting better slow but sure.
** Just stopped for lunch.   Had potatoes, cooked tomatoes, buttered toast and cocoa with canned apricots for dessert.  Not too bad, eh.  Digger as the Australians used to say.
            Well I expect there are great preparations afloat in a quiet way to welcome the strange little craft when it comes in across the stormy water without a stitch of rigging on.  My? Oh My?  I’m still hoping to beat him[1] home for most of my life I have received the welcomes and have very seldom been in the welcomer end of a real big welcoming, seems to me.  As soon as I arrive as I have been away so long I may have forgotten the right side up to hold the little rascal or a few similar minor details.  
            Paper, news, etc., gone so close with lots of love to all.                                                        

                                                            Your loving son & Bro.,
                                                                        Corp. Geo. Sherwood
                                                                        108th Engineers
                                                                        American E. F. 



[1] The upcoming birth of William Philip Weber to Herman and Susan Weber


No comments:

Post a Comment