Friday, April 26, 2019

April 26, 1919 -- George Looks Forward to Expanded Family Gatherings


1919-0426 – George Stevens Sherwood to Susan Sherwood Weber and Family

 

Echternach, Luxem

April 26, 1919

 

Dearest Little Kiddo Sister and All:

            I thot I had  you shelved till I hit the other side when I mailed my letter this morning, and then you go and throw a bomb into camp when I receive your letter of Dora’s great expectations this p.m.  Hully Gee! When Uncle’s away the sister will fix up all sorts of surprises won’t they.  Guess it is a good thing .  Maybe if the barrages get too bad Dad can get rid of me after all.  Ha! Ha!  I always did like kiddies tho and most of them seem to trust me even with my new spotted complexion, so Dad better resign himself to keep me too. I  sure will have to hurry home tho, or the family will be so busy I will be a hero ? without an audience.

            But say!  I’m going to bawl out that big sister pronto for keeping secrets from the only prospective Uncle in the field.  I guess the joke is on Guy as I believe Mother quoted him as saying “Never again.”  But seriously? You know I always enjoy a real pouring storm instead of just a drizzle so you can’t make me mad.  But I’ll fool you.  I’ll just speed up and get home in time to get all talked and loved out before my nieces and nephews arrive on scene and take the center of the stage.  So don’t be excited if I walk in about June 1st.  Meanwhile get all your preparations for Sunshine and beaucoup Rain made because you won’t have a chance after I get there I warn you.  I’ll try to get a line off to Dora and extend my strongest invitation and inducements to her and Guy and Margaret to come East.  Gee! Wouldn’t that be some family gathering, but we have plenty of chimneys for all the storks.  Sorry I can’t favor you with a European wife as a surprise no. 3 but I don’t feel as tho it would be treating the American girls square – somebody hit me on the head with a brick quick. Ha Ha!  Expect my pains are wasted as they will probably wish I had brot one with me. 

Say, I wonder if you can read this.  I’m glad Maxine is running, as maybe I’ll get a ride home in her.  Is she feeling good or is she ailing.  I suppose those trucks will be quite a sight to you folks, but I hadn’t thot of it till I read your letter, as they have been so ever present I wouldn’t go across the road to see one any more.  I suppose they are the Quads or 4 Wheel Drives from the way you describe them.  Did I ever mention the evening we saw about 350 Allied aeroplanes go over Fritz’s lines north of Verdun.  That was some sight.  Wish you might have seen them. 75 or 80 was no uncommon sight on the British Front but there sure was a cloud of them the eve I mentioned.  Been loafing again today.  Have a letter started to Norine[1] which I must finish tonite.  I really think this may be my last spasm from here so love again and again and Au Revoir.

OK.                                                                 George Sherwood

                                                                        108th Eng. Amer. E. F.

PS. No chance to mail before, so hello from Brest. 




[1] Likely Norine Pautsch, 1st cousin of George.  Norine’s mother Clara Sherwood was William Sherwood’s sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment