Sunday, April 14, 2019

April 13, 1919 -- George Tells the Story of the Fire and Gets Letter from Home


 
APO #750
April 13, 1919 

Dear Ones All:
            Here goes again for at least a line to you.  Still in Evac Hospt. #13.  But we are all coming fine now.  Will be out in a week or two more.  My hand only has one bad spot on the back of it.  One side of my face almost clean of scabs but the left side is like a relief map with them yet.
            Yesterday I got 8 letters.  The third mail I got in this hospital.  Say, the world looks different since then, even if the weather is rotten now.  Rained yesterday & today.  But can read now in the day time so get along fine, but the nights are the longest I’ve ever seen.  Now everything is O.K. and we are so near out of the woods I have enough pep to tell you a little about this fire I guess.
            It was in the gasoline dump, and when it got out of control one of the Major’s punctured the gas drums they were unable to get out with a rifle to prevent explosions.  But he must have missed one for as we were waiting to help in case the adjoining stores and shops caught fire, one of the 50 gal drums exploded sending a wall of flame up the street into the square at least four hundred feet.  As I was within 70 feet of it along with the front of the crowd, I got in on a box seat at the show as it were so was sent down here with the 24 worst cases, I was – or am – not worst or best of the 24.  In all about 100 soldiers and 50 civilians were burned.  But no one lost eyesight and there will be few bad scars so we are all lucky and thankful.
            My hat was blown off, so my hair and forehead had not the protection some had, but my left hand was in my pocket and wasn’t burned so except for those with gloves I had the best of it there.  I needed a haircut bad so my head isn’t really burned much tho there are a couple of mean scabs in my hair.  But being so long my hair can be cut fairly presentable as soon as I get out in spite of the inch or so burned off in patches.  It sure ruined my poor pompadour temporarily tho, ha! ha!
            Like all tragedies there are the touches of comedy when one looks at all sides of it.  I thot my face had took some long stretches without water in the A. E. F but here is a record of 18 days to date.  I got over to the shower a couple of days ago so all but my face got refreshed again, but I couldn’t wash that!  Well, enough of the fire till   I’m home, then I’ll tell you want you want to know.  My face and hand have made it so hard to write and concentrate I did not dare undertake a long letter before and I knew Susan would go crazy if I said gasoline and didn’t explain.  You see but little gasoline spattered on us as it was so hot when it exploded it vaporized and the dry puff of flame is what peeled us.  Our wool suits saved the rest of our bodies, tho the clothes were badly burned and scorched in places.  But again, thank God it wasn’t cotton.  And again, laugh and don’t worry.  As  I promised I will let you know all as soon as possible.  The worst is over and I’ll soon be home to see and talk to all of my Dear Ones – God willing. 
            We have a wonderful day nurse, so sympathetic and patient, working all the time, yet ready to laugh at a joke.  And the ward man at night is a fine fellow.  There, I said I would ring off on hospitals, on fires, didn’t I?  I just read the wedding anniversary letter over again tonight.  Those letters are so fine.  You sure have done plenty of butchering this winter.  Have you saved some fatted calf or will it be chicken.
            Did I ever tell you I was a full-fledged corporal again.  Maybe I’m busted by now but was fixed up to draw the pay as well as rank from March 1st so will get 1 months pay anyway, I hope.  My pep is set back enough so I have decided to wait to see you all before I try to see much farther ahead along life’s trail.  I’m sometimes afraid you will see greater changes – not all for the best in me – then I realize but thru it all I remain

                                    Your loving, loving Son & Brother   
                                                Corp. Geo Sherwood
                                                Hq. Co., 108th Eng.
                                                American E. F.

***************************************
1919-0410 -- Ella Jane Sherwood, Susan, and Herman Weber to George Sherwood 

Kendall Wis
April 10 1919 

Dear Brother I will try and write a few lines so you get it before morning.  Well when you start morning suppose it will be towards home  I hope  so so you can help me milk the goats we are milking three of them now and five more to come in yet so you see that is a job for you they are quite small for me to milk.  Well now you want to know about the hay and ensilage I think we will have enough hay for the cows if we don’t have another winter it rained all this week and the grass looks nice and green if we git warm weather the grass will grow but I think we will have to buy some hay for the horses and the ensilage will last about this month  we are only feeding once a day  I think we started in February some time to feed once a day.  Yes we got all the wood out and got it all sawed but I hant got half of it split yet I think I will have to work harder or you will have to split wood when you come home then you cant sit in the rocking chair and hold your sister and talk but I don’t think you will hold her so very long she hant so little as she was the last time you seen her that time she weight 109 and now she weights 146  well she is quite an old lady that is what I call her well I think I will say good night for this time when you get home I can tell you more so good night with love and best wishes to you from your brother Herman

 

The Old Home Farm
April 10, 1919
Dear, dear Brother,
            Your letter of March twenty-first with its special part to each one of the family, came today and also a roll of the “Trey Buns” which we were also glad to receive though perhaps we have forgotten to tell you so when you have sent them with your letters as we were always speaking of the letters themselves.  I have not had time to read all of them though my ironing waited until after dinner while we read your letter and the greater share of the “Trey Buns”.  Please explain, Corp. Sherwood, the meaning of the “Freckles” spoken of by your office associates.
            But to get back to the letter itself, you will notice that you have at last gotten your Big Brother to write you tonight while I washed up the supper dishes but I hope what he has written about my size and weight won’t scare you into not inviting me to share the rocking chair with you “as of yore”. I also smiled over the bringing to mind of Mr. Klang and the “Kiddo” episode, even as you say you did.  How afraid I was at the time that he would think you were not speaking in a properly “respectful” attitude of your little sister and therefore might not have as good an opinion of my little brother as I hoped him to have for of course he could not know that it was sort of “pet word that meant a lot to us in spite of its slangy origin. And how often as I go about my work or lie awake for a little while during some part of the night do I “have little talk” and “conversations” with my brother boy as so often used to do.  Sometimes I too have started letters expecting to say some of those thoughts but have often given it up and decided to wait until we could really talk together, for somehow I couldn’t get the right words for putting “my feelings” on paper.  You don’t know what a warm glow it gave me to think of you as lying “talking” with me for I had rather supposed that my “conversations” were a sort of personal idiosyncrasy, and how I shall look foreward to the day when we can sit in the rocking chair and have a real talk.

Morning April 11,1919

Dear Heart,
            Had to stop right there and this being bread baking day I have not had time to write until now with the fear of the mail carrier ever upon me, but always you know how much I wish I could get time to talk and just think how much there will be to tell each other when get home in ----May? Perhaps!  You just raised every hope on tiptoe till my heart sings “perhaps the last of May and surely some June day?”
            I am so glad you aren’t worrying about me and now that I feel pretty sure of your being home before the “Great event” you can’t know how glad and contented and happy I feel.
Oh so much love dear heart and prayers and love and prayers again.  God be with you on the homeward way.  Mispah
                        Your loving little sister   Susan

 

Spring Brook Farm,
Near Kendall
and Little Old Glendale,
Wisconsin,
U.S.A.
Dear Son,
            Dad is having a spell with his stomach this morning and I can’t think of anything that would make it seem more natural and homelike or regular than that must close, with Love from Home Dad.
Dear Daddy!  You will find the months you have been away have told on his strength and vitality and he will not look just the same as the teeth he has had to lose do make considerable difference in facial contour.  Even now after my so long use of “store Teeth” I do not look natural to my self at all especially when I smile, I don’t like my own looks any more.
You will be saying “what a ridiculous Mother”!  I’ll stop “Self reviews” and talk about neighbors or the weather or________________.  And then fly at the house cleaning.  So you may have a “Sweet Homecoming”, Oh Boy how those words do set our hearts all “ajoy”, and make our hearts all aquiver like the wild bird in your hand.
Yesterday I packed 23 quarts of beet and cabbage relish such as grandma and Mrs Hill used to make into a barrel for the Christian Home Kiddies, and just to think that will make only enough for one meal for them.  Today I will get ten qts of another kind and some other things then the Glendale will be ready to finish filling the barrel and that will be out of the house.
Every stitch of clothing that hung in the woodshed attic is out of it, and will be sent away next week.  We started a large bundle to the “Over seas folks” last week as we doubtless told you if you get those letters, and I suppose that depends on how fast your Div. moves now
The enclosed $1.00 for “that Telegram”

Dearest Son,
Your dear ”four ply” letter came to us yesterday as I suppose, Herman and Susan have already told you in the letter they wrote for you last evening.  Dear Heart be extra careful on your way home and let no accident You can prevent by your own carefulness deprive us of the joy of again seeing Our Boy Home among us day by day.  Or of Mother being able again to rub the pained spots or Sister brood over the ankle if it needs her loving hands.
Only yesterdays paper told of a message coming to Madison parents that a sons life was lost by the “accidental discharge of a gun he was handling” after escaping the “dangers of battles” to be lost to them by carelessness seems so much worse than as if he had gone by “expected ways”, Hence my seeming foolish useless cautions to you now.  Forgive if your waiting Mother seems over anxious now the time seems to be drawing near “to welcome our Laddie Home”.   These are April days and nights So neither Sun or moon bring visible messages but behind the clouds we know they shine in silver lining and reads in their rifts the brightness only separated from us by “a veil of mist”.  Here is Daddy and I will put pen and paper at his disposal now and finish what space he leaves if that carrier is not to soon for me.  He does come so early now – about ten or before, but now too early when we are hoping for letters from our absent loved ones.  I think he starts early these days so as to go home to help on the farm.  You will remember Elsa his brother died of flu this winter.  This one – Richard or “Dick” was very ill and even now has not his old time strength. This winter of “Flu” has left many in that condition.  How we wonder which one of the many “Camps” you will be detained in before your final discharge comes.  We did hope at Sparta as that is nearest home but the statement that all soldiers will be away from their after April15th and that place left in civilian hands kills that hope.

Did I tell you yesterday that Cecil Keller is in New York “doing writing work” as Mrs. Brainard tells it?  I will send his address if I can get it. 

Lovingly, Hopefully, Prayerfully,

                                    Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment