Thursday, April 25, 2019

April 25, 1919 -- George Estimates Getting Home By June

 

Echternach, Lux

April 25, 1919

 

Dear Ones At Home,

            I have found a way to drop you at least one more line from here before we move, to let you know I am nearly well. Some scabs on hand, back of neck and few on face, but another week of good luck ought to clear them up.  As for my looks, you know I didn’t have many to lose and by the time I reach home expect to have some eyebrows, and a fair crop of hair all over (I wasn’t really bald any part of my head, just a “close singe.’) but the redness in my face may stay a matter of weeks or months so prepare for an odd looking but unscarred veteran. Maybe by then I’ll look just tanned as now I’m like a badly sunburned baby in my face. We all came back from the hospital yesterday so as to be ready to go with the rest.  Expect we will start for Port middle of next week. Do not expect to have very hard work from now on as the records are all pretty well cleaned up and I’m not so ambitious as I was when my ankle was sprained.  Without stretch of imagination I can actually see where according to present plans we should see you by the 1st of June at the latest, either on a short leave or discharged.  As my scheme for clothes didn’t pan out very well, I may have to wear my uniform until I can get a suit made, so guess you will see enough of me in uniform.  Say, by the time I’m out fitted and have a little blowout trip at present prices I’ll be some pauper won’t I.  I’m not worried tho as dad promised me bed and board as long as I wanted it.  He didn’t know what a bite he bit off did he?? Ha Ha!

            I received another film from you yesterday making four in all and as I got  20 from England by some fellow on leave I have plenty now to carry me.  Besides, not many more can catch me even if you have sent them as I expect to be in New  York two weeks after this letter reaches you. Of course, remember it is the Army and here is many a slip, but I’m commencing to feel more like myself every day – even tho I don’t look it yet.  But I’m lucky as I expected to be marked for life.  Now loved ones I’ll have to close this and don’t worry if the next is several weeks later and from N.Y.  Only a month or six weeks at the most till we meet again, God willing as I feel quite confident He will.  I lost all my old equipment and the union suits and the equipment that went through the war with me while at the hospital, but guess from the way you rave my worthless old carcass is the main souvenir, so maybe you will not mind so much.  Wish I could bring all the dear Xmas, Easter cards and letters back but they are stingy with room so they will also have to be “memories.”  But thank you mother, Father, Sister, Brother & Friends.

                                                            Love to All –

                                                                        George

No comments:

Post a Comment