Friday, March 1, 2019

March 1, 1919 -- Officially Corporal; But No New Pay


 Echternach, Luxembourg
Dear Ones All,
            Here it is only eleven days more to the grand celebration of the double wedding anniversaries in the house of Sherwood – Weber & Co. And so let’s call this the Anniversary Letter.  By those same signs I take this opportunity to wish you all the best and happiest return of the day, and a fine and joyful celebration. May I be with you a year from the 12th of March to celebrate with you.
            You have a delinquent orderly to thank for this letter this evening.  I was all ready to go to bed, it is after 10: P.M., but as there was no orderly in sight to hold down the place I had to stay awhile, and I said very positively to myself “Not one bit more work if it is stacking up higher every minute.” So I came back to my desk, sat down to write, and I leave it to you after perusing this book whether my efforts were wasted or not.  I’m so near sleep I’m inclined to believe they almost are.  But anyway you will know I am alive and well as usual when you get this with no immediate prospects of collecting any of $10,000 insurance.
        I had a very pleasant ? surprise, along with several other would be Non-com officers when we were gently handed the news that a certain A. E. F. order prohibited promotions after the 4th of Dec last.  So the extra pay the few of us made since then drew last month will be firmly and carefully deducted from this months pay, and they will condescend to let us hold our new grade, wear the stripes and do the work of N.C.O’s at the old Private’s grade of Pay.
            Now I know what “Empty Honors” are.  Of course, if they rescind the order we will perhaps start to draw pay in the new grades again, but meanwhile doing Corporal’s work on Private pay is about as lucrative as a seat in the Wisconsin Legislature.  We should worry!  Four months more and then “The Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave.”
            The last letter I got from you was dated February 12th and as I had about all up to then you can see that mail has been coming extra fast the last few weeks.  Hope Herman’s nose has entirely recovered from Topsyitis.  It is a painful malady, I imagine. 
            Hope my letters are continuing to arrive now they have started to come thru again.  We may move over into Germany this month, nothing definite yet on that.  Now that orderly has arrived, and I’ll be locked out if I don’t make tracks for Herr Kries house.  Give my love to Auntie and the girls.  Will try to write but some of the boys are going to leave from the office as we did in January, so we will be short-handed and you will have to forgive me if I’m not very regular in writing. 

            Love again and again to all my dear ones.

                                    Your loving Soldier Boy
                                                                       George Sherwood

                                                108th  US Engineers
                                                American Exp. Force 

C. L. Thompson
Capt. Eng. Amer Ex F

*****************************************
1919-0220 - George Sherwood – map through Luxembourg 
Dear Sis and All:
Just a line tonite to let you know I’m still alive and kicking.  This map explains itself I think.  The cities marked are those we have billeted in more than one night since we came into Luxembourg, “The land of beauty.” – and Lonesomeness for the A.E.F. these days.  Hope you are all well and getting my mail more regularly.
       Love to all. Corp. Geo. Sherwood, 108th Eng. American Exp. Forces.









 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment