Friday, March 8, 2019

March 4, 1919 -- Crutches for George's First Injury of the War


 Echternach, Luxembourg
March 4th, 1919
 Dear Ones All:
            Here we go again for a letter short but sweet.  Peace seems to be worse than War for me.  Got thru the war on my two pins, and now the Peaceful pursuits of happiness in Echternach have forced me onto crutches.  As you should be bursting with curiosity at this point I will pause to remark that it was a very nice, rainy spring day today.  And I sure had bucco work to do, as I was behind when I last wrote and Sunday evening and yesterday during my enforced absence it piled up something scandalous.  By the way Johnnie and Willet went on leave yesterday, another reason the work is doubled and I shouldn’t take the time to write this.  Well, guess your curiosity has seethed along about enough so may as well tell you the crutches afore mentioned are the result of too much bicycle and too little ankle.  Now there is the same amount of bicycle but lots more ankle. 
            About 5 PM Sunday I started from the office, which I was holding down for the afternoon, over to our room for the Sergeant Major’s Signature on a document.  As slick pavement, a little too much haste, and a stone curb or rather cobble stones caused the spill.  I was nearly in front of our abode, so the younger Kries (Victor) and one of the “boys” helped me up to the room.  I got one of the fellows to get me some liniment, but didn’t get over to see the doctor till today.  It is swelled really worse than ever and with the stains of the liniment on it really looked tough.  He jammed his fingers in it as tho it was a rubber ball for awhile, twisted my foot around then with a few last pokes, told me it was a very bad sprain.  I wonder if he thot he was telling me something new.  Also told me not to walk on it for a couple of days.  No danger.  But his advice about bathing it in warm water is good and I’ll try to do so.  Said to come in in a couple of days and have it bandaged as it is too badly swollen for that now.  Oh, it is a gay life. The lady where we live gave me a flannel bag to keep it warm, so I look like I had the gout.  Forgot to tell you not to worry, it is the left foot, not the one I hurt with the horse two years ago. 
            Now I’ve spent all my time and paper telling of my infirmities, which may not seem to make you feel any gayer, but don’t worry, I’ll be over it by the time I get home, and maybe that will be in June.

                                                Love to you all.
                                                            George Sherwood
                                                            Headquarters Company
                                                            108th Engineers
                                                            American Exp. Forces

C.L. Thompson
Capt 108 Engrs
Amer. Ex F.

No comments:

Post a Comment