Saturday, March 23, 2019

March 21 - 23, 1919 -- Geoge Writes to Each In Turn; Hears from College Teacher


Echternach, Luxembourg
March 21st, 1919
Dear Little Sister:
            I’ve decided to write you each a little line this time. I don’t know just why, but guess I can make it a little more personal that way, tho I have no objection to a comparison of notes after each reads his or her part.  And foolish as it may seem the main reason probably lies in the fact that last night as I lay thinking of home about 1: AM or so I got to thinking of some thing I’d like to say to you in one of our old fashioned talks and I inadvertently let slip an “Say Kiddo” in my minds conversation.  I nearly laughed outright at the way my old familiar way of addressing you slipt in so unconsciously.  And of course it at once flashed across my brain the wild look Prof. Klang gave me one day when I was saying something to him and accidently the same words.  I’ve forgotten what I was talking to you about in my minds eye last night but the irrepressible desire to address you as “kiddo” got the best of me, so as long as I can’t say it in person I’ll write it.  Dear little Kid, you don’t know how happy and proud the uncle to the future heir to the house of Weber is.  At first my happiness was mixed with just a little worry, but I’m over it now. Half the battle is over because you are so unworried and unafraid yourself.  And the calm, beautiful way you take it not only means safety for yourself, but health and beauty of soul and body for your baby.  Dearest, I think you are taking rather an advantage of me, cause being the only Uncle on your side of the family it’s up to me to brace up and amount to something as an example for my nieces and nephews, I guess.  How I wish I could take you in my arms and sit down in a nice big rocker and “just talk.”  For while the pen may be mightier than the sword, the tongue is a whole lot easier to wield than either, and would be a great deal more satisfactory in this case.  When I started to write this my head was as full of ideas as a Jerry mattress is of lice, but I have been stopped so often by the business of the office that they have all fled.  So I guess you will have to wait for any more “raving” till I get another inspiration, or till Johnnie comes marching home  But?

A little birdie keeps singing to me
            And these are the words she seems to say
                        Cheer up my boy don’t homesick be
                                    You might be home in the month of May.  

                                                            Love to my own little Sister from
                                                            Corp Geo. Sherwood
 Echternach, Luxembourg, 23-3-‘19

Dear Brother Herman:  If I don’t get an answer to this letter I’m going to give up in despair.  And you had better be careful how you treat me, or I’ll take up so much of your wife’s time when I get back that you won’t get anything to eat.  Now don’t you think you had best write me a nice letter.  If you hurry you will just about get a letter back in time to catch me in this town – maybe. And after we start to move we will probably not stop long enough to let much mail catch up with us, at least I hope we won’t.  We are hoping to go out Via Antwerp, as the chance of Rotterdam seems to be pretty slim.  Say, I’m brimful of questions which I want answered.  In the first place, how is the feed, hay and ensilage holding out this spring?  And did you get all of the wood out on the last snow?  Does Sis feed you any better since the war was over?   How is old Maxine?  Did she come thru the winter without catching the asthma?  You see, she has to be in good shape to celebrate when I get back.  The roads ought to be good then.  How I hope I can get home in time to welcome the expected addition to the house of Weber.  You don’t know how proud and happy the future Uncle George is to be let in on the secret.  Please write me if you can find the time. Don’t try to do too much work yourself, when Dad is feeling bum you ought to be able to get help now the boys are coming back from France.  And take good care of my little sister – your little wife as the time draws near for the Big Event.

                                                                        Your Loving Brother
                                                                        Corporal Geo Sherwood
 


Echternach, Lux. 23/3/19
Dear Daddy:  What’s this I hear about you overworking, getting a cold and being sick.  This will never do.  Do you think I’m going to stand for that after risking my neck – a little – to Bosch shells & Bombs?  Remember, you haven’t got the rookie of a year and a half to settle with on my return, but a veteran of the World War.  And if you have not kept your promise you gave at Logan to take care of yourself, and keep young and well till my return – well, I leave it to you to imagine the cruel reckoning.  And if I can’t scare you, which I doubt if I can, did you ever stop to consider how Susan and Herman have your cornered.  You just have to let up on work and preserve yourself, and mother too, so that the approaching family of grandchildren can know, and profit and be proud of Grandma and Grandpa Sherwood.  Daddy, I wish you would drop me a line as I asked once before, and let me know about how the family finances stand.  You see, I can plan my future civilian operations more intelligently if I know how things are at home.  How is the milk market since the war?  And how do the cattle take to ensilage.  Oh!  Tell me all about it please. Now I’ve got to ring off and send a line to mother. 
                                                            Love to my dear Dad
                                                            Corp. Geo Sherwood
 
Same Place, Same Date, Same Guy

Dear little Mother:  Here I have been telling them all to keep an eye on you and one another so you wouldn’t work too hard and I caught myself wishing I had you here to rub my ankle where it pains yet.  The thotless inconsistency of man!  Well, I wish you were here just the same.  Or, better yet, I wish I were there. But wishing is vain so we will try to continue to do our share and hope for an early fulfillment of our dreams.  There is always someone worse off than you are in this world anyway.  They have just sent us two Y.M.C.A Girls who have only been over here since Feb 19th.  They want to make up to the boys for some of the failures of the Y in the past, and for the hardships they have been thru.  But here they are practically alone, inexperienced and with such poor organization behind them, that they get to feeling sometimes as tho they weren’t really wanted or their efforts worth while.  In reality, the officers and organization of Engrs are nearly all trying to help them, but they haven’t been “in the Army” long enough to realize the pressure of work and the constant pounding away that is necessary to accomplish anything.  Nor are they used to the impersonal attitude they must face.  Poor kids, it is a shame they are sent out so inexperienced, but tho it hurts to learn in the school of experience, they have their heart in the work and put up a good barrage of cocoa and cookies yesterday, so I guess the will come out on top in the end.  Now I must close.  Maybe I can be your birthday present yet this year.  Love to all especially my little mother. 

                                                            Corp. Geo S. Sherwood, 108th Eng. Amer. E. F.   

Censored:  C. L. Thompson
Captain 108th Engrs
Amer. E. F. 




My Dear Mr. Sherwood,
                                                Your postal came about a week ago, I was very pleased to receive it.  Certainly I will send you a line if that will help you any to while away the hours.  I have also sent your address to Howard Lowry and asked him to write to you.
            So Mariam told you I was here in Elroy?  Yes, I’m here teaching Latin, English, Ancient History and (no bricks, please) music.  It’s all right, but I’ve had things to do that suited me better.
            I know your cousins May Sherwood and Beth Waterman real well.  The people here in Elroy surely are a bunch and they make it mighty nice for us teachers.
            Perhaps you would like some Lawrence news.  I don’t know any very new but it may be news to you.  Did you know that Mac Ainsworth was killed by electrocution this summer while working in a mine?  Also did you know that Leona Kimball is making  a name for herself in some brilliant chemical investigations she is carrying on for the Du Pont Powder works in the east.
            Dr. Wright the Latin prof, you remember died this winter at a sanitarium.  Oh yes!  The Lawrence chapel (the new one) was finished and dedicated a short time ago and now plans are being laid for a new gymnasium.  I tell you, the old school is growing.
            Are you still interested in rocks, and rock minerals?  I can imagine you scaling the cliffs of Germany (Are there cliffs in Germany?) in search of pyrite and dolomite!
            I must “ring off” now and hie me down the hill to supper.  Best wishes to you! 
                                                            Sincerely,

                                                            Martha Schufflebotham
 

No comments:

Post a Comment