Friday, September 22, 2017

September 22, 1917; George Sherwood Joins the 108th Engineers 100 Years Ago Today

1917-0922 - George Stevens Sherwood to William and Ella Sherwood and family

Chicago Ill 6:45 P.M. Sept 22 – 17 

Dear ones all, Many things have happened since I left you.  I don’t hardly know how to write this for I had so counted on being near you, at least as near as Camp Grant. But it seems the Surveyors and Draftmen are full there so I have at last enlisted as a surveyor in the 108th Eng. H.Q. and start for Sam Houston at 8:00 P.M. tonite.

I Am (See other card) 
Nervous but well and was able to eat a fair supper at Uncle Sam’s expense. Did not sign up for the 108th until about 10 minutes ago.  Have had secondary exam here so tho I still have to pass another expect to go thru O.K.  Well the best laid plans of mic & men – you know, so cheer up and wait for the time when Johnnie comes marching home.

Love to you all – George Sherwood

P.S. Sent suit case from Rockford.  Say hello to everyone
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment