Thursday, September 28, 2017

Sept 28, 1917 - George Learns Mess Hall Skills First Hand & Laundry Not So Much

Two things struck me in particular about this letter.  First was "knowing what's coming next -- not."  A couple of years ago this way of describing a situation was very popular and I still tend to use it quite often.  Did not expect to see that the style goes back 100 years!   And then, seriously, sending laundry home to mom from the Army? Who would have thought!!

Jefferson Barracks, Sept 28, 1917

Dear Ones All:  It is now 4:50 P.M. and I must go a half mile to stand at “Retreat” at 5:30 so will only have time for a line. Have just read 3 nice newsy letters from home so feel pretty good.  I have been in the “mess Hall” for the last 52 hrs or thereabouts which would explain my negligence in writing, or rather it would if you were as well acquainted with “mess” as I am.  Go on duty at 5:00 A.M., work till 6:00, then serve breakfast, get our own, clean up and wash dishes till 8:00, into potato room till 11:00 then get dinner on table, serve it, eat our own, wash dishes & clean up till 2:30, then chance to go to Barracks till 4:00, then same old routine for supper taking us till at least 7:00 P.M.  There, that’s a condensed description of “mess hall.”  We are “Relieved” but don’t know for how long.  Feed 2,500 in the “mess” every meal.  Some family meal eh!
            Well, don’t worry if you don’t hear from me as you can see from that that one doesn’t get much time when on special duty.  Have only had about 2 hrs drill yet.  Have no idea when I’ll be shipped.  Maybe to-morrow, maybe 8 wks from now.  And I was wishing all summer I was in or out of the army so as to end the suspense.!  Oh, yes, we know how what’s coming next --- not.
            Well, would like to describe “Barracks” and army life, uniform, etc., farther, but must beat it as I’ll get 5 days at least of “mess” if I’m late to retreat. 
            Am sending home underwear and kerchief for wash.
            Address all mail to
                        Geo. Sherwood, 23rd. Co,
                        Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
P.S. Please send back just 3 of those smooth bath towels. 


No comments:

Post a Comment