Friday, September 29, 2017

Sept 29, 1917 - George Hears About Quality of Houstan 108th Engineers & Considers an Ingersoll


Jefferson Barracks, Sept 29, 1917

Dear Ones All:  Just a line again today to let you now that I am well, and wish you all the best of health, spirits and luck.  I have just made the acquaintance of a young fellow just in from Chicago who is going down into the 108th too.  I have already heard of them off and on by enquiring of different fellows and all reports say they are as strait a bunch as you can find in the army, so I think I’ll be well pleased, and feel quite cheered.

            Don’t know when I’ll get out of here.

            Have just written two letters to Charles Moss, the other to Henry De Farrer. I got one from you to-day and a card from Herman so I can’t complain.

            I don’t think it best to send the Kodak or anything until I am assigned and shipped for good – (or worse) as it may be. 

            Regarding the wrist watch, the most satisfactory I have seen are the medium small ones with the special treated faces and hands so that they radiate light at night, a metal case, and some have light metal net over the crystal, tho this is not necessary.  I expect the only watch of this style to be got as cheap as $4.50 is an Ingersoll, but I understand they give fair service.  Of course a fairly wide leather wrist band of tan leather is to be preferred.

            How many loads of hay did you get for your share off of Smiths, and how much did you put in the new barn?  How are the colts and Leader?  Well, guess I’ll ring off for now.

            Don’t worry if you don’t hear for a few days as one never knows around here how busy they will be.
                                                            Love to all,
                                                                        Regards to all the friends around.
                                                                                    George Sherwood.
This was the construction of the horse barn which was built in 1915 on the same side of the road as the house.  The horse barn was across the street from the dairy barn.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment