Saturday, September 30, 2017

Sept 30, 1917 -- George Reads Jack London's Tale of 2073 & Asks After Laundry Sent Home




Sunday
Jefferson Barracks, Sept 30, 1917
Dear Ones All:

            Have just been reading one of Jack London’s books in the Y.M. reading room.  It is called the “Scarlett Plague” and is a weird yarn about how a plague came over the world in 2073 killing all but 20 or 30 people, and reducing these remaining ones to lowest savagery.

            We had to straighten up barracks and lay out our clothes for inspection and then go up to parade grounds for sort of inspection this A.M.  But were all done by 9:00 so “Frenchy” and I went out by the river and lay in the sun for about 2½ hrs.  Then dinner, and as I said this P.M. I have been reading for the most part, tho I played a couple of checker games which I won.  Signed up for an army testament and read a couple of chapters in that, too.

            Suppose you have rec’d those clothes I sent home to be washed.

            About the wrist watch.  I sent a description of features I have noticed in various watches I have seen here, but fear you can’t afford to send me one, so beg of you not to pinch yourselves, as I guess I can afford to get one.  I wouldn’t have said anything about it only Susan asked.  But let me know what you decide to do, and also what my bank balance is now, as I need a watch badly.

            I rec’d a dandy letter from home again this P.M.  Am glad the hay was put in in good shape.  Is Jo-S home or in Richland Center now?  Haven’t heard from anyone except you folks & Herman [his sister Susan's fiancé].  Tell some of the friends to write.
                                                                        Love to all,
                                                                                    George

No comments:

Post a Comment