Sunday, February 4, 2018

February 4, 1918 -George Has New Duty as Mounted Orderly


Camp Logan
 February 4, 1918
Dear Ones All:

            I got your letters of the 30th mailed at Kendall & Glendale respectively this noon right after mess. So I will have to hasten to answer even tho I am all “legginged & spurred” for a ride.  In ten more minutes I must take my saddle and take “Bean Belly” and “Mid” out for exercise.  “Bean Billy” is Major Roth’s horse and “Midnight” is at present mine by virtue of “Skinny’s” kindness.  To explain:  “Skinny Gleason,” who I have spoken of before, was Major’s mounted orderly but he got a chance to transfer over to experimental station a couple of weeks.  I was lucky enough to have him put in a word for me with the Major (unbeknown to me) so when he left I was made mounted orderly pro tem as it were, provided I make good. Friday was my first day and I was out with the Major both morning and afternoon.  Got pretty sore as “Mid” is far from easy and I’m a bum rider, but hope to get along all right. Yesterday was rather muddy and disagreeable so I didn’t go out with the Major, but took “Mid” for a little jaunt on my own book.
            Now I must close this and take them both out to exercise as the Major doesn’t hardly expect to go out this nice sunny Sunday P.M.  But I must report in an hour when he will know for sure.
            Am very busy so don’t worry if I don’t write so very often.  Got the other $ O.K. but really this must cease mother!  And send that address of Mrs. Rasmussen's please again at once, as the letter got burned up that had it in.  And you spoke of an enclosed letter but all I found was the one from Albert’s wife.
            Now I must close as I must be very good if I expect to hold down this job while “Skinny” is gone.

                                                            Love to All,

                                                                        George.

Be sure to answer my questions soon Sister, and plan to come to Texas. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment