Monday, February 5, 2018

February 5, 1917 - George Recounts A Day in The Life of A Mounted Orderly


Camp Logan Feb 5, 1918
Dear Home Folks:
            Once more I have a few minutes which I can call my own, so I’ll drop you a line while I can.  Still riding for Major Roth.  Sister, this is the kind of a job you ought to have, at least it ought to please you.  I’ll map out the days campaign so far.
            Got up at 5:45 and went down to feed “Midnight & Bean Billy.”  Then while morning mess was in progress I put my leggings over my overalls and put on my spurs and polished our bits preparatory to riding school at 9:00 A.M.  From 7:30 to 8:45 was spent in cleaning and saddling the horses.  Then promptly at 8:45 I mounted my black Mid and we trotted over to the Major’s tent at Headquarters. 
            Waited there with the horses until about 9:10 when he came out and off we went for the drill field.  When we got there Lieut. Col Whigam was already giving oral instruction to the orderlies and non-coms who attend the school.
            Soon after we arrived the order was given for us to form a circle in single file.  Then we walked, trotted and galloped the horses, and circled right, right about, left, left about, figure eight right, etc. for about ½ hr. After that we practiced mounting and dismounting both right and left sides, with and without stirrups.  Also picking up our hats from ground without dismounting. I can get along all right (tho not gracefully I fear) till it comes to mounting from right side without stirrups.  So far I haven’t mastered that.  Next we had a short drill in mounted formation and then (now don’t die of envy, sister) we all took a couple of tries at the hurdles.  They are laid out like this and four troopers go at them at a time. 
            My black “Midnight” took them fine this morning and didn’t even try very hard to run around the ends instead of taking the jump.
            Well after the school was dismissed the Major ordered me down to my tent and post haste to change my overalls and jumper for O.D’s and meet him at his quarters.  I rushed around and was back to his quarters all ready in about 15 min, but he wasn’t ready as he had lent his horse in the meantime.  However, more good luck, I no sooner tied up and reported than he invited me in to partake of a piece of hot peach pie.  It certainly was good.  One appreciates good pie down here, they as seldom get it. To quote Major Roth, “Most of them have to be opened with a can opener.”  After that I waited about 20 min and then we went on our morning inspection of regimental latrines.  We usually jump the drainage ditches with the horses as they are only a foot and a half or two feet wide but for some reason “Bean Billy” refused to cross the 2nd one this morning and it took the Major half an hour to work him over.  It was just stubbornness as he would jump it farther down, but refused at that one point.
            So it was about half past eleven when we finally got back to the Major’s quarters and then I took an extra half mile ride to mail a letter before I could take the horses to the corral, water and feed them and get ready for mess.  How is that for a busy forenoon.
            After mess I [here he drew a double pointed arrow referred to below] took a half hours nap then went down and worked some of the sweat out of the horses’ hair.  At 2:00 P.M, had to report to the Major to find out if he had any use for the horses this P.M.  Then I learned that he wouldn’t want them until tomorrow at 8:45 so I came back and wrote a letter to my home folks or rather got as far as the double pointed arrow at the top of this page. Right there [other end of arrow] Pat got thru shaving and wanted to know who wanted to use his brush and the mirror while it was out and wet, so I quit and shaved. Then it was time to go down and feed so I did that, and made my horses snug for the night.  I hate to think of giving this job up, for I’m getting to think a lot of the horses already but it is hardly probable if I do keep it long.  Besides, one feels more like somebody when they have more of a set line of work to do, and only one real boss.  And keeping dressed up for it makes one feel more respectable. You have to be snappy and on your toes to salute, in speech, etc. too where you are constantly running into officers.  Anyway, I’m thankful for it while it lasts and live in hope it may lead to something as good or better later. 
            Well I came up and washed, read the farriers manual Skinny left for awhile, then went to mess which consisted of liver, bread, potatoes, gravy, cocoa, onions fried, and fruit salad.  Rather better than we usually get.  After mess got your letter of the 2nd which I read with the usual enjoyment.  I never heard from either Grace or Mayme so guess their letters must have gone astray.  I got a box of very good candy from Dean Campfield yesterday, and a shoe shining set from Dora.  But where is that good candy and cookies my sister and mother respectively promised me, and which I in turn promised part of to the boys.  They are wondering and so am I.  Sister, if you can’t find time to do better than this before you are married, what kind of treatment will poor little me get afterward?  So poor Roy finally got discharged.  I am surprised that he has to turn back his uniform after as much service as he has put in.  One certainly must feel queer to be back in civilian clothes.  But I wouldn’t mind having the war over so I could try it.
            I was very much shocked to hear of Harry’s trip to the hospital as I never knew he was even conscious he had an appendix.  But I trust he is progressing all right.  I will try to drop Jo a line at the earliest chance I get.  What is the reason you don’t get your money from the condensary? Am sorry the party had to be called off, for you see I knew they were going to have it, even as far away as I am.
            Well, I better close before I have to get another sheet of paper. So love and regards to all.                                                George

           

No comments:

Post a Comment