Saturday, February 3, 2018

February 3, 1917 - Sister Dora Plans Trip for Sister Susan Nuptials









 


This photo was apparently taken during the time that Margaret Lindsey came with her mother Dora to visit her maternal grandparents Will and Ella Jane (Stevens) Sherwood.  Behind them is "Spring Brook Farm" where Will and Ella lived and where George was born and raised.  Margaret seems a little small for 2.5 years old if this was the March 2018 visit.  This may have been taken at an earlier visit.  I would be happy to be enlightened by any relatives who might know for sure.  Or I could be totally barking up an entirely wrong tree.  I do know that the people on the ends are Will and Ella Jane Sherwood, George's parents.
Feb 3rd 1918
 
Dear Daddy: - A note to Herman and small books to the “vining folks” [referencing the soon to be married sister Susan Sherwood and Herman Weber] last week pretty nearly wore out my pen so I just left you over till today.  I have to do all my scribbling when busy-body is sleeping.  And I find I’m getting to be a lazy writer. Had a fine picture of George in last nights mail sure do enjoy it. Have written him today.  You and mother would have a lovely “honeymoon” while the “children” are away on theirs.  It is a shame to intrude  but I don’t see how I’m ever going to get there and get my visit over and get away by Mar 12, so I suspect you will find a very matronly daughter and a very busy grand-daughter at least busily engaged in destroying any “honeymoon” dreams you may have.  I’ll defy you to do any “spooning” Margaret doesn’t catch you at.  It can’t be done.  And when she catches you she will tell you very sternly that she (and none other) is your “girlie." We have had little snow and very little real winter weather.  I wonder what a Wisconsin March will hand us.
            Guy is awfully anxious to come East while I’m there but we scarcely dare hope that he can get off.  Doesn’t look so very promising now at least. He threatened last night not to let us go so far away but I know he was not in earnest.  Margaret just now woke and is half awake in my arms.  She may get back to sleep. 
            How she will love you all!  Let’s not plan much work while I’m there (get the “kids” properly married and then visit).  I may not write much the next three weeks.  I have so much to do.
                                    Love to all,
                                                Dora

The sense of humor of this family is fairly well demonstrated as this photo of Ella Jane with her, granddaughter  Margaret Lindsey (I believe) and another unidentified child.  I do believe that that is Ella Jane's handwriting under the picture of herself.

Margaret Lindsey a little older

No comments:

Post a Comment