Sunday, November 25, 2018

November 24, 1918 -- Dad's Day Letter; Censorship May be Winding Down


 Mr. Wm Sherwood                                                                       14th Somewhere in France
(Best Dad in the world)                                                                         24th November 1918
Kendall, Wisconsin

Dear Dad,
            Watch the rest of them all turn green with envy when you get this (my first individual letter to any of you for a long time I’m afraid).  Now I guess I’d better hurry up and explain before they get sore, as it is very near to Christmas and I’d hate to ruin any prospects you or I might have.  But you see, I have learned to be a good soldier, and obey orders, so when it was officially announced that this was “Dad’s” day and we were ordered to comply with requirements and drop a line to “Dad” you can see how I was up against it, so maybe you will explain to the rest – enough so as to keep me in good till Xmas anyway.
            We have had no official word of less stringent Censorship so as usual this will have to bear the same resemblance to a letter that a dried apples does to a real one.
            Well, what do you think of the way we did up our little job of chastising Fritz.  When he gets through swallowing the terms of the Armistice I think he will take the bitter pills of “Peace Terms” without a whimper, and I’m sure the dose should be a very effective and lasting cure for the chronic complications of Kulture, Kaiser, and Militarism he has suffered with so long.  Of course, the amputation of Alsace Lorraine will be necessary, but we hope he may survive even that.  I sure would enjoy to be home this winter, but guess we better wait awhile as he might gag a little at the “Peace Pills” and someone must be here to help Doc Wilson and Colleagues hold his nose again while they are administered.  
            However, you may start feeding up the “fatted calf” so he will be in good rig when the prodigal does return.  Give him plenty of ensilage, etc. so he will make nice juicy steaks.  
            I got the Thanksgiving letter today.  Believe me, I did enjoy it. Of course I’m keeping it to read Thanksgiving Day again, but I just couldn’t wait so thot I’d start being Thankful right away.   We all certainly have much to be Thankful for this year.  I know from the tone of your letter you didn’t really expect to have “The End of The War” on the head of your list – and neither did I.  None of us realized how close the collapse of Prussianism was. 
            Well, as the orders to write “Dad” didn’t contain an clause detailing us any extra time to do it in I am stealing it from my sleep but my eyes and brain are both getting heavy, so I better close this with bucco love to “Dad” and “All.” 
                                                            Your Loving Son,
                                                                        George 


No comments:

Post a Comment