Tuesday, May 29, 2018

May 29, 1918 -- Camp? -- Somewhere in France

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mr. Wm. Sherwood                                                                                       
   May 29, 1918
Kendall, Wisconsin
USA 

My dear Home Folks:
            As it is rapidly getting dark I will rather have to hurry this epistle up some if I am to finish before it is too dark to see.  I only wish I might paint you even a slight word sketch of my surroundings at this instant and some of the events which have transpired since I last wrote you.  But as that is impossible, I can only say that while the heading on this letter is the same as in the last, the scene has shifted greatly. 
            I have received no mail since we embarked, so I am quite a ways behind the times in Wisconsin and in fact all of the good old U. S. A.  But please write as regular as possible, as I still live in hopes of receiving some of my mail sometime. 
            I hope you will excuse the pencil this time as I have not access to any table…. * (36 hrs later).  I have already had the pleasure of riding on one of those odd French trains.    They look like toys compared with such American trains as the 20th Century Limited[1], etc. 
            Do not worry about me, as I am well billeted very comfortably, and the weather is ideal here. Warm, sunny days with cool, fresh nights to put snap and vigor into us.
            I have been wondering if you have received my insurance papers yet, or at least an official notice of the fact that I had taken out insurance. If not, please let me know by return mail as I will try to get it straightened out from this end. And if perchance I should shuffle off this mundane sphere before you get the papers, please get after the matter as soon as possible after you get the official notice of my death, as the records showing that I took out the insurance and that it has been deducted from my pay regularly might become lost or destroyed. 
            Do not think from this that I am either in grave danger, morbid, or avaricious, but the insurance has been paid and in case of accident you should get the $57.00 each month for 240 months (20 years). 
            Now I think I had better close for this time.  Will enclose the last three numbers of the “Hatchet” with this [None with letter]. 
            Love once more to you all, and always my regards to my friends,
            Your loving son and brother,
                                              George

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Limited The 20th Century Limited was an express passenger train operated by the New York Central Railroad from 1902 to 1967, during which time it would become known as a "National Institution" and the "Most Famous Train in the World." In the year of its last run, The New York Times said that it "...was known to railroad buffs for 65 years as the world's greatest train."[1] The train traveled between Grand Central Terminal in New York City and LaSalle Street Station in Chicago, Illinois along the railroad's famed "Water Level Route". Photo of train as part of article.

No comments:

Post a Comment