Monday, May 7, 2018

May 7, 1918 -- George Goes to Sea

 
 [The actual date on this letter is known from the letter George sent on Nov 28, 1918 after the Armistice where George tells us exactly when they left NY and when they arrived in France.  The number of days at sea are scratched out, apparently by the censor, but the humorous thing is that the letter has a "passed censor" date of May 11, 1918, so for all intents, the dates might as well have been left on the letter!]

 On board the good ship -------

D. O. A.   [Dear Ones All]                                                                                                May ?   1918
There, I reckon there isn’t much there to censor.  Anyway, we are on our way at last, pulling out away from dear old Uncle Sam, so that we may do our bit and best to preserve that grand Uncle with all his “liberty” for our glorious and triumphal return. 
You know there is really nothing to write about.  The only reason I do is because when I have a little time I feel like talking to you, and so I sit down and write, but of what?  Anyway, it is a little enjoyment to me and I know you all well enough
[changes to typewriting] to know that you will be interested in anything I write about no matter how inconsequential. 

 
            Next day
All night the screws have been churning the water, carrying us farther and farther away from AMERICA and YOU.  To what, When & Where? 

No land in sight, but all kinds of clear blue water sparkling in the sun today.  
Still on board the good ship???

         May ??????  1918

[returns to handwriting]
To day is our [no. scratched out] day out.  More sunshine & water.  But as you know, I have always enjoyed the water any way, so I enjoy this trip more than many, even in spite of the discomforts.  Am sending you a copy of the “Hatchet,” our ship’s paper with its little local news and jokes, also its wireless reports from outside.  Yesterday P.M. we had quite a bit of entertainment on the aft hatch in the way of acrobatics, music and boxing.  Expect more today.  Still well.  And love to all again. 
[no. scratched out] day out.
Again I’ll say hello and goodbye.  Slightly rough and several soldiers helping to provide for the poor hungry fish already.  I may come to it myself before the day is over.  Love to all.  Will mail this to-nite if possible.
                                                            George. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment