Friday, March 2, 2018

March 2, 1918 - George Explains Absence from Wedding

 
Camp Logan, 3-2-‘18

 Dear Home Folks:
            This includes Dora and Margaret and Guy if he is there.  At least I hope by the time this reaches you that they will be there.  This Eve I received your letter of the 26th saying you were sending $45 in case I could come. I’m afraid when I get it it will have to come back as I really don’t see my way clear to come at this time.
            Skinny has come back, but is expecting a Sergeantcy in this or some other Co & does not want his job back he says.  Who can blame him?  And I think the Major is resigned to it for he has taken me on as tent orderly as well as mounted.  It’s a job I don’t like (make his bunk, sweep, shine shoes, etc.) but most of the mounted orderlies do both jobs so I couldn’t very well refuse. He said try it for a month anyway, so it looks as tho I wouldn’t get “bounced” for that long anyway.  Of course the tent work means $5.00 per month extra direct from the Major so that will help some to atone for the dirty work.  But you see if I take a furlough that is all broken up.  If I had been on three or four months and had the work regular, I would feel justified in asking for the furlough and put on a substitute, but it would be too much to ask him to break in another man when he just got me working harmoniously.
            Of course, it really isn’t much of a job in a way, but it beats corral and kitchen detail a good deal and is pleasanter even tho one is “only a buck private.”  So I guess I better stick and hope that eventually it will lead to something better still.  Did you get my letter about the allotment?  You never said anything specifically about it, so I wonder if you go the letter telling you I had made it and what I wanted done with the money.  It should come inside of the next 15 days and I would like to have Susan and Herman bring down the $10 or $15 when they come if you get it by then.  Just whatever you can spare.  As I said before, always use what you need and send me the rest while in the U.S.  After that bank the surplus over what U use if there happens to be any.  If it don’t come by the time they leave for here, let me know as soon as it does come, so I can be sure you get it all O.K.  I wonder if your secret has leaked sister, for Jo said in this evenings letter she had head some good news, but wouldn’t tell what it was till she was sure it was true.  She said if it was true I probably knew it by now anyway.
            To think, only ten more days and I’ll have to address my letters to “Mrs. Herman Weber.”  Guess Smith’s aren’t sure where they will move yet but my, won’t the valley be dead without them there.
            Well, I’m getting sleepy so guess I’ll draw this to a close and send a program of Thurs Eve’s entertainment.

                                                            Love to you all

                                                                        George

No comments:

Post a Comment