Saturday, March 10, 2018

March 9, 1918 - Instructions for Stop Payment for Registered Mail




Camp Logan 3-9 – ‘18

Dear One’s All:

            Only three more days now before the great event.  I suppose Dora arrived long since. And by the time this arrives the wedding will be over, so here is to Mr.& Mrs. Herman Weber. Am I to see them down here?  I hope so.

            Now for the registered letter. It didn’t come, so yesterday I went up to Regimental Post Office and found that letter 286 came in from Kendall on march 1st and was signed for by Howard Quiring, who brot over our mail that nite.  Now if No. 286 is the letter with the check in it, it arrived in this camp O.K. and was lost either by Quiring as he brot the mail over, or was mislaid in the Top’s tent before I got it.  Anyway, if that is the No. of that letter, stop payment on the check at once and let the matter drop, as I don’t think either of the men who handled it would intentionally hold it out, or use it. If there was any news in the letter, please repeat it.  But be sure to stop payment on that check at once so in case any unscrupulous party got hold of it you won’t have to pay it, and it can be traced back in that case.  I have had everything quieted at this end until I hear from you at least, and if 286 is the letter in question, and the check don’t turn up for payment, nothing more will be done.  So let me know as soon as possible.  And if you can see your way to come down this way on your honey-moon, telegraph me a couple of days ahead please.  Well, as usual tomorrow is Sunday so the Major has to be picked for Field Officer and I get soaked too.  Maybe literally as well as figuratively speaking. It is sure sultry here to-day. And another inspection and inventory in progress.  I wonder if we really will move in 60 days or so.  Love to all.

                                                            George Sherwood

 

No comments:

Post a Comment