Tuesday, June 4, 2019

June 4, 1919 - Soldier Cousin Martin Tillotson Comes Home to Marry Ella May Hood


1919-0604 – Bertha Dexter Tillotson to Ella Jane Sherwood

 

June 4, 1919

 

Dear Sister Ella:-

            Excuse the paper that I am using for I have gone to my room, undressed and took this from Mary’s[1] things and thought I would write just a few lines before going to bed.  I am still in Meredith.  Jessie[2] can go Susie (and I take it she is the mother of that fine boy[3]) one better.  She went to the parade decoration day in the forenoon and came home and done some cooking such as doughnuts and cookies, got through at 3 o’clock and at 6:40 o’clock that same day had a fine girl Elizabeth Gladys Weeks. 7 lbs.  Baby was nursing when the doctor got here and the doctor only lives about 5 minutes walk from here.  Pretty good we think.  Both are doing fine.  Martin, my soldier boy, came home with the 26 Div[4] and came to Meredith for two nights.  His father and Gladys’ husband, also Martin’s best girl came here to meet him.  Then after the parade in Boston, Martin came here for two days more then went up home.  How I wanted to go with him but didn’t think I could leave Jessie.  Now I shall go home before long.  Martin and Ella May Hood is to be married sometime in June.  They are waiting for me to get home. Mary is with me and going to school here.  I shall be glad when I get back home.  I have been gone most 3 months, came here March 11 –

            Was glad to hear that George[5] was so near home and hope that this will find him at home and well.  Hope his father will feel better. It must have been a hard blow for him the only boy.

            I am only a short walk from Ursula[6] and have asked her to write to you but she don’t get at it.  Edith is a great fat girl & Ursula thinks that there is nothing like her.  She is smart and a pretty child too and Ursula would work herself to death for her. 

            It is very hot here now.  Well I guess I will go to bed now.

            Write again. Remember me to Aunt Nellie and the rest.  Hope Susie will get up fine. How is Dora & family?? 

                                                            Lots of love,

                                                                        Bertha




[1] Her daughter Mary, who was about 10 at this time.  Bertha is Ella Jane’s half sibling; same mother, Ella from Evi Welch, of course, who died.  Bertha from Martin Dexter.  An interesting note is that Martin Dexter married Mary Elizabeth Richardson after Evi died.  Martin’s sister, Rosetta, married Mary’s brother Henry C. Richardson (the one of Civil War fame). 
[2] Another daughter, as is the Gladys mentioned in a couple of sentences. 
[3] That fine boy would be Uncle Bill – William Philip Weber!

[4] World War I - 26th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade was Activated and Inducted into Federal Service: July 1917 (National Guard Division from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont).   Overseas: October 1917. Major Operations: Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne.  Days of combat: 210. Casualties: Total-13,664 (KIA-1,587 ; WIA-12,077), Inactivated, and returned to National Guard service: May 1919, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Division

[5] George Sherwood
[6] Ursula is Bertha’s sister, also a half sister of Ella Jane.  Edith, her daughter, was born in  1911 when Ursula was 45.  In my dad’s notes, he says that Edith was adopted, but gives no specific information.

No comments:

Post a Comment