Sunday, April 16, 2017

George Writes His Mother Before Heading Back to College


1915-0815 – George Steven & Susan Rosina Sherwood to Ella Jane Sherwood

Kendall, Wisconsin,
Aug 15, 1915
Dear Mother;
            At last your naughty son has once more set him down to write to his mother.  I was commencing to wonder if you had entirely forgotten your son and was going to spend the rest of your days taking care of your granddaughter. 
            However you have at last broken away and I am hoping to see you soon now.  Don’t forget that there is a time limit on that ticket and that the railroad lives up to its end of the bargain and expects you to live up to yours.  So don’t expect extra time on it.  Besides, we would like to see you here once more as I guess I mentioned.  Say hello to all the folks along the way for me.
            The oats are down flat and will take us the better part of next week to cut if the weather is good.
            The wheat was down bad too, but not so flat and was a fair crop.  It is in shocks now.  Have about 14 brush sets left to sell, but as my line is as full as I care to carry won’t use your suggestion, tho I thank you just the same.
            I didn’t go to church to-day, but read, ate and slept.  It has been very hot and my head aches to beat the band.
            Well, guess I’d rather tell any more news after you get home.
            Lots of love from       
                        Your Son
                                    George

No comments:

Post a Comment