Saturday, February 2, 2019

February 2, 1919 -- George Writes of Mail and Travel Adventures


Echternach, Luxembourg
Feb 1st, 1919
Many Very Happy Returns of the Day to Sister Sue and May Providence so Will that we may all be together on the next! 
When I found this photograph it stated that it was taken on May 10, 1918 as it neared France.  In that case, it is very likely that George Stevens Sherwood was actually on this ship at the time the photo was taken.  However, he could not discuss what ship he had been on at the time so he only commented on it later..
            You see we got back to Echternach this noon, after 3 and a half days of the hardest travel I ever put in, not excepting G-1 on the U.S.S. George Washington.  I don’t expect to be so glad to see any place again until I land in the USA in “The Harbor of Home Sweet Home.”  In fact, I’m so absolutely all in that I’m lying on the bed to write this which will in part explain my strange hieroglyphics [very scribbled] (Oh Muder, will you compre’ that word I wonder). Well, after building a fire and filling the inner man I sat down to digest my lunch and something like 15 letters.  Ten from home ranging in the dates from Dec 22 to Jan 8th, two from Jo, one from Karnes, one from Lieut. Mohr, one from Auntie, one from Mrs. Gorham.   Guess it was sixteen. Yes, Mutter, I read the one on the inside of the envelope, but it was a trifle dark in here, so when I opened that very thin envelope I was stumped for a minute, then on holding it to the light I got the little “joak.”  I read eight of those from home, then sandwiched the 6 miscellaneous ones in and read the last two from home so as to have the freshest and best last.  
Well they were all so newsy and nice it  was unnecessary precaution but “Safety First” and after hearing you folks chat so long I made up my mind I’ve have to talk a little too even if I was tired.  So after eating supper, paying the office a flying visit and drawing Dec. pay, I’ve taken a little bicycle ride to stretch my limbs and come up here to scribble.  And I seem to be very successful at that anyway.  My dear little watch says just 20 to nine and I hear tattoo so guess it is about right.  It has been laid up with a broken jewel etc., for about 3 months, but I left it in the hospital when I went on leave and a 12 franc operation seems to have done it a world of good. 
Now to spin the woeful tale of our trip back from Aix-les-Bains.  We were unable to get transportation at the end of seven days, so had 10 days in all before we were ordered to report for return.  We assembled at seven thirty Tuesday eve (Jan 28th) at the leave headquarters and were immediately marched down to the street in front of the station and stood in the snow until 10 o’clock waiting for the train.  Then eight of us were put in one third class compartment only intended to hold 6 persons.  The trip was supposed to take two days and the rations for the 8 of us amounted to the Grand total of 8 lbs hard tack, 3 cans tomatoes, 1 can jam, 1 can beans.  At eleven thirty we pulled out.
           Morning found us in the yards of [illegible]where we lay until 8:30 P.M. only being allowed to leave the train at eleven and again at six long enough to go to the Red Cross and get a  slice of bread and small cup of coffee which were issued free.  Luckily all the fellows but one in our section had brot an extra lunch of some kind and he got a loaf of bread so we got by very well with only the jam from the issue used, tho we took up a knotch in our belts.  We also salvaged some straw for the bottom of the car and so finally got our feet warm from the exposure of the previous night.  That night I took my restful ? slumber on a baggage rack some eleven inches wide and four feet long near, very near the ceiling of the car, very similar to the baggage racks in the states. By wedging myself against the ceiling I was reasonable safe if I didn’t let my elbow inadvertently slip and the engineer handled the train carefully which he was careful NOT to do.  Imagine your pudgy offspring perched in the top of this swaying car and laugh if you please.  
I assure you it was funny, and as I’m able to write this you will know I didn’t fall after all.  I slept as well as tho I had crowded up more below, and as it gave the rest more room it was worth the risk, tho if I’d landed on those underneath you and at least one other family would probably be wiping away your tears with the 1st month’s installment of $10,000 insurance instead of reading this.                   
            The next morning found us in Chanmount where we lay all that day.  No chance to buy anything
*      *      *      *      *
(After a night’s sleep and a day’s work) Feb. 2nd.

            That night we traveled some again, and morning found us out of rations and traveling thru the familiar battle scarred hills on the outskirts of Verdun. We arrived in Conflaus about noon and got another can of beans, some bully beef and hardtack so managed to keep body and soul together.  But again we had to lay over for an engine so did not get back to Diekirch until nine A.M. the 4th day out which was yesterday (Feb 1st).  After a wait of 3 hrs we caught a train for Echternach landing here about 1 P.M., dirty, hungry, and oh! so tired.  The rest of the ending to our leave you have already read except the fact that I’m still worse than all in from the cold contracted in Aix and so gravely aggravated by that miserable trip back.  But Echternach lives up to all expectations.  Got Dec. pay tonight so am nearly broke but have a portion of my debts cancelled already.
And what do you suppose.  Tonite as we sat behind the stove in our landlord’s store eating our mess from the table the main had spread for us, in came the little girl with the best waffles I ever tasted, all sprinkled with sugar, two for each of us.   
            I don’t like the looks of the Russian situation right now, as I’m afraid it is going to cause a lot of suffering yet, and complications of that kind do not tend to hasten our early return.  So I guess you had best not look for our early return, but “keep the Home Fires Burning” and be very, very careful of my “Folks” as I surely must find you all well and happy when I do get back. 
            The Keystones arrive regularly, but as yet have received only one magazine since I arrived in France.   But I don’t expect that is your fault, so don’t worry, some may get here someday. 
            And don’t let Herman fool you in to believing that a soldier gets too hard to love the little home touches, and special letters from home, especially when they contain a message from each and every one.  For the space is too limited to keep more than the newest and freshest one the memories of all of them linger to cheer a lonely moment.  
            By the way, Herman, you're not the only one who would enjoy seeing me back there to help pull a cross-cut, I assure you.  I’d be only too tickled to be there and have a chance to do even that. Maybe I’ve forgotten how, but guess I could learn to push that instead of a pen again. How is the feed holding out this winter anyway?  And how I long more every day to walk in on some of the little evening gatherings you describe in your letters.  Now the fight is over it is so increasingly hard to wait.  
            We were going to the local movie tonite, but the city power gave out so I’m finishing this letter.  Aren’t you glad the light were too poor for a show?  Think I’ll write one more and then turn in.  Call up Mrs. Schultz and give her my regards.  I sent her a card from Aix-les-Bains but she may not get it I suppose.  In fact, I believe I get fully as large a percentage of mail sent me as you folks get of what I send, which I really natural as censorship and sorting here are not perfected like they are over there.  In fact the censorship makes a big extra step in mail from us to you.  Now I’ll close before I tire you all out.

            With love and longing to see you all,

                                                            Geo. S. Sherwood
                                                            108th U.S. Engineers,
                                                            American Exp. Forces

 

No comments:

Post a Comment