Monday, December 24, 2018

December 24, 1918 -- George Remembers Family Far, Far Away on Christmas Eve


This particular letter is written on parchment paper, only on one side.  Two letters are written on each folded over sheet.  You can see the letter to his mother through the scan under the writing on top.  The Army Engineers Logo is drawn by George with his 108th added in color. ]

 Dear Dad,
            You can’t know how much I appreciate the little letters you write me in your own words and handwriting.  Please come again often.  The Thanksgiving letter from you all was such a treat. So I am stealing enough time from the Government to drop you each a few lines, just to show you how much I appreciate it, even though I haven’t much to write or at least have so much that I give up writing any of it and wait for the times when we are once more together to tell them.  Since it is not our luck or duty to occupy the land we have recovered and what we have won, I hope we are in line to be some of the first to be home after those who are sick or wounded.  Of course, that will probably be several months, but I think we ought to spend the next Fourth of July in the land where it originated as a holiday.  The weather here now is about like our rainy November weather home. It freezes every night and sometimes the roads stay frozen.  Most of the day as well.  In fact the last two days have been quite cold.  Now I’m at the end of the space, so I’ll just close with love and Happy Christmas greetings to my dear Dad.  Write again soon to your loving son, George Sherwood


Dearest Mother a Soldier Ever Had;  I’m writing you last, but you are far from least in my thot’s if you are in kilograms (I pause to weep for the bygone days of pounds).  And talking about pounds someway reminds me to suggest that as soon as they ease up on the sugar a little you might make a dainty little fruit cake of eight or ten lb size and wrap it up to put the Xmas finish on that fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years – Easter – Prodigal Returned Repast, I have casually mentioned every time I wrote and dreamed about which the Kaiser and the kindred Rats and Cooties let me dream.  I think this will be the last thing I request until I write again.
            I sent Daddy a card and you a little French apron which I hope you will have received for your Xmas [illegible] arrive.  I also hope you receive the summary of My Travels in France which I mailed to Dad a few days ago.  All things over here point to the fact that we have actually largely accomplished the first part and talk over here and really made the German People sick of the War.  Four weeks ago I would not have believed that so complete a success could reward our and YOUR efforts so very soon.  So the joyful surprise of it is a regular Birthday Gift to me, as was your lovely letter.  I doubt however, if we felt or celebrated the Victory with the same abandon shown in the States, for we realized there was much left to do yet, and the emotions do not flare or respond so easily after the overwork and curbing they have received in six months of this. 
            But it will be a Happy, Happy Xmas for us all if we can only be together in spirit this time, so enjoy it to the utmost for your loving son, George. 
 


Dear Brother,
            I guess I owe you a letter if I do anyone so I will just send you a Christmas letter.  You don’t know how I appreciate the letters and notes you write to me personally, and I hope you will continue to write to me once in awhile.  The folks write you have the barn all painted.  By the time I get back I won’t know the place. Suppose by now you have opened up the silo and the calf “is starting to get properly fatted for the Prodigal’s return!”  Can you imagine it?  I am working in an Army Office now.  Rather I should say a Regimental Office.  Am glad I didn’t get roped into it until after the Armistice was signed, as it don’t look like I was trying to duck shells and line work. 
            I wonder if you have snow there yet?  We have had just enough here to make the ground white one night and it was gone soon after daylight.  I am wondering if we shall see much of the Real France:  even now there are only a few of the war refugees back this far up, and the wreck of war, even tho the area is already salvaged of all useful debris, lends a very gloomy atmosphere to what must have been a very beautiful and picturesque country.  Will close now with a Very Hearty Wish that you all enjoy a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to amply reward you for the victory you have helped us win.
                                               Brother George
 
Dear little Sister:
            Now here goes for your share of this Xmas letter. I got your birthday letter to me day before yesterday, and read it with much pleasure both then and today.  Then the mail today bro’t me your letter of the 12th November, and one from Aunt Nellie, besides the Keystone for Nov 7th so I have had a very enjoyable day.  I have a slight cold now, but it is better today.  Oh, I forgot. One of the boys in the office got his Xmas Package today, so we celebrated with that too.  I am very anxious to see the new pen and from your description it must be a dandy.  I never intended to make you all of that trouble tho. 
            I was very shocked to learn of Mrs. Smith’s death.  I got a letter from Jo, dated the 7th and she spoke of her mother being too sick to move, but even then I didn’t think it was so bad as later events proved. Poor kid, I haven’t heard from her since naturally, but I sent her a Xmas letter which I hope won’t make her blue instead of help. 
            I have sent you a little Xmas souvenir under another cover, which I hope you receive. If you don’t just let me know.  That list of good things for the “Returned Warrior” makes my mouth water.  My but time goes slow now, doesn’t it.  But say, you are a joy killer.  Here I have my mind made up to celebrate the 4th in the States and you say you hope we can get home by next Thanksgiving.  Well, here I’ve written a whole page and said nothing so I’ll close with wishes for a Merry Xmas & Happy New Year over the New Kitchen cabinet. Your loving file clerk – Geo.

No comments:

Post a Comment