Monday, January 23, 2017

May 1907 Letter to George from Grandma in Tacoma, WN


1907-0521 – Grace Gulvin Sherwood to George Stevens & Susan Rosina Sherwood -- when George received this letter he would have been 10 years old. 
 
May 21st, ‘07
Dear Grandchildren George and Susie,
            I write to thank you for the pretty Easter Cards you so kindly sent me[1] but which I came very nearly not receiving as you didn’t use the right address, so it laid in the Tacoma office till it was advertized and by the merest accident your Aunt Marian happened to glance down the list. You see we are 10 miles from Tacoma and even though we happened to be in the city we wouldn’t think of going to the P.O. as we had furnished all our friends with our right address.  I will send a card which you must put away where you can get it handily for I should be sorry to miss getting any of my letters.  I hope this will find you all well and you must give my love to each and a dozen great big kisses to your dear Papa for me, that will be three for you to give George and three for Susie.  I shall not stop to write much of ourselves as your Aunt Grace Doud[2] expects to come East next month on the occasion of your cousin Grace[3] Pautsch’s graduation from the Beaver Dam High School and she will visit you then, and can tell you all about us better than I can write.  I am not suffering much pain now but I do not get strong at all, am just able to get about the house a little, nor can I use my arm or hand a great deal.  I hope you will write me soon.  Now I will say good bye for this time with lots of love from
                                                            Grandma
Grace Gulvin Sherwood

[1] The writer is Grace Gulvin Sherwood, second wife of Richard William Sherwood.  His first wife was Grace’s sister Mary Ann Gulvin.  Grace lived another two full years and died in December of 1909.  She was 10 years old when her sister married Richard and moved to America.  She followed two years later when she was 12.
[2] Grace Doud is Grace L. Gulvin Sherwood, youngest daughter of Richard and Mary Ann Sherwood and namesake of this elder Grace Gulvin who while being her aunt b also ecame her step-mother.
[3] This Grace W. Pautsch, is the daughter of Clara Sherwood, Grace Gulvin Doud’s older sister.  This Grace never married but worked throughout her life. She lived with her aunt, Grace Doud, after CC Doud passed away.   Having all these “Graces’” can be VERY confusing J!

No comments:

Post a Comment